29 January 2009

Some Random Things...

I have had to stay late at school every day because of Academic Decathlon, so poor Will has been stuck at daycare longer than usual. He really seems to be taking it well. I am sure to devote extra attention to him in the evening (until Daddy gets home, when he switches favorites).

Obviously, I think my kid's smart, but I still think it's pretty neat that I can point to a picture of the president and ask him who it is. Every time, he'll point and say, "'Bama." He won't call anyone else Obama, so I have to believe he knows who his president is. One of my earliest memories was seeing Jimmy Carter on TV, so I guess it's fitting Will follows in the poli sci/history footsteps of the rest of his family. (Both of my parents, all of my siblings, all but one of my in-laws on my side, and Rolf and I all have degrees in either history or political science).

Will loves to help me cook. I pull up a chair for him to stand on (right next to me so he doesn't fall - don't call CPS). He is fantastic at salting the water for pasta, and he even helped me bake cookies last week! He poured in every ingredient for me. I think I have a budding chef on my hands. I love it!

Yesterday, school was closed due to ice that melted by 10:30. The district doesn't do late arrival, for some reason. It was nice to be home with Will, though, since I won't see him Friday or Saturday. Will alternated between being a complete angel and being a complete hellion. I suppose he is getting closer to his terrible twos.

The past week, Will has been so nice and compliant when it is time for bed. Even yesterday, at naptime, he went without a fuss. We read to him and then let him walk and climb into bed on his own. This way, he feels as if it is his choice.

Every day since Sunday, Will has gone potty in his potty chair once a day! We have to ask him, of course, and he's only taken care of #1, but I am so proud of him! On Tuesday, we had to run by the grocery store on the way home. We didn't get home until nearly 6. I took him to the potty, took off his dry diaper and he peed! It's really exciting to see him start to take control of his actions and gain more independence. I am not mourning the thought of his getting out of diapers. They're expensive!

No comments: