14 May 2008

Time is a Cruel Prankster

Well, we've reached another marker. Today, at precisely 4:34 PM, Will turned one year old. It has now been longer than a year since I have been pregnant. What a weird thought, especially since it still seems surreal to me that I ever was, indeed, gravid. That's such an odd word. I never felt "laden" or "burdened." Pregnancy was the most joyful time in my life. Just anticipating the moment I'd ached for for over five years was bliss. Waiting those few seconds between the time the doctors and Rolf said, "He's here," to the first cry Will let seemed to last five minutes, but that little cry was the sweetest sound we'd ever heard. Rolf cried. I cried. Then Will didn't repeat that feat for a while. I was terrified. I couldn't see anything beyond the big blue surgical drape they had up between me and my incision. Rolf assured me that Will was fine. He was checking everything out in amazement. Even the nurses down in the nursery commented on how sweet he was and how he didn't put up a fight. He was too intrigued by what was going on around him. Rest assured, he has since learned to assert himself. Sometimes too well.

It doesn't seem like Will should be a year old already. Six months, sure, but a year? You have to be kidding. It has been a wonderful year. A year of little sleep, of a lot of messes, of tears, of laughter, of worry, of pride. I've watched my little man grow from a squinty, squishy face peeking out of a burrito-wrapped hospital blanket to a bright-eyed, inquisitive, silly, smart, walking, babbling little boy. Several weeks ago, I set the alarm on my cell phone for 4:34 this afternoon. When it went off a few minutes ago, I cried. Sometimes I look at Will and marvel at this little being, this miniature human, and I can't help but swell with pride and think, I helped make that. People stop us all the time to comment on how cute he is. The other night at the grocery store, a woman came to us from the other side of the produce department to tell us that Will had a perfectly shaped head.

I am going to start a Project 365 of Will so I can keep better track of this second year of his life. Don't get me wrong, the advent of digital technology has made it possible for us to have over 1000 pictures of his first year, but there were a few months that we didn't record as well as others. My goal is to take a picture each day from his first birthday (today) to his second. Then I'm going to upload them to Shutterfly or Snapfish and order a book that chronicles his progress. I will post Will's Week each Sunday night. That's my goal. If I don't, somebody get on me to do it. Please.



My Little Will Burrito


The Birthday Boy



No comments: