15 May 2008

Scary

A fairly severe storm rolled through the Metroplex last night, which is pretty common this time of year. Around 11:30, Rolf got up to check on Will, making sure the storm wasn't disturbing him. As he was getting back to bed, the windows lit up red and thunder shook the house simultaneously. It was the loudest thunder I have ever heard and the brightest lightning flash I've ever seen. It was even brighter and louder than when lightning struck the corner a block from my house when I was a kid. Convinced that one of our trees had been hit, Rolf and I leaped from the bed, grabbed the flashlight, and checked out our front and back yards. Amazingly, nothing was showing any signs of damage. More amazingly, our power was still on. Most amazingly, Will didn't cry. MY heart was pounding for a good half hour. I checked on Will before I climbed back into bed, and he was lying there, eyes wide open. I tried to leave the room, but he started crying. I gladly scooped him up and rocked him. It calmed both of us down enough to sleep.

I'm usually a big storm watcher. I guess I got that from my dad, who, when the tornado sirens went off, stepped outside to watch the sky. I love my covered patio because I can stand outside and watch the rain and the wind. I am like Mrs. Whatsit from A Wrinkle in Time...wild nights are my glory. However, that particular lightning strike? I could do without another of those for quite some time.

No comments: