01 September 2008

Response to comments below...

I started this in the comment section of "Velcro Dad," but it got long-winded (surprise, surprise), so I decided to make it into a post instead.

Personally, I would prefer to leave our political views off of Will's page. I set this blog up to keep Will's more distant relatives up to date on his life, not to explain to the world to whom my vote goes and why. I know the blog is mundane at times; I don't always have the time to craft a witty post, and lately, the energy is lacking, too. I will try to post livelier stories of Will's (mis)adventures.

Additionally, I am very private about my political views around my students because I don't want my political philosophy tainting their view of me as a teacher. Most 15 year olds aren't quite mature enough to separate what their parents tell them is the right way to think from the people they admire. The last thing I need is for some kid to think I grade his paper harder because he follows a different political party. If they listen closely to what I say, they can figure out my viewpoint. Most don't listen that closely. Besides, discussing politics and religion (outside of immediate family) makes me physically sick to my stomach. They are two areas that represent who people are at the core of their being, and arguing won't change that.

Rolf's feed is already on the right side of the blog. My feed includes the Onion, the blog Cake Wrecks, and the Great White Snark. Everything else is either a friend's blog or the SAT question of the day, to which I subscribe for the SAT prep class I teach.

Rolf is thinking about starting a different blog for the side of our lives that has less to do with Will. I am not sure how it will fly, since Rolf doesn't even post here, and I have my aforementioned aversions to publishing my thoughts about the world where my students can find them. You may think me spineless for feeling this way, but remember the city in which I teach, and remember the close-minded nature of many of its citizens. The subject I teach has more "subjective" grades than straightforward a+b=c. Add to that a high-maintenance group of "helicopter" parents (not all, but there are more than a few in my school's neighborhood), and there's a recipe for trouble. It's not worth it to me. I live my own personal philosophies in my daily life through my service to the community and my tolerance for all walks of life, and I teach that service and tolerance by example in my classroom. I feel that's enough.

All that aside, the Henson exhibit sounds fantastic. I would love to take Rolf and Will to the Smithsonian someday. I don't think Will is going to be up for that much museum time for a couple of years, but it's definitely on the to-do list. One of my long held goals is to be a card-carrying member of the Library of Congress. You know, just 'cause.

3 comments:

Recovering Sociopath said...

I guess that makes sense about the teacher thing. I hadn't really thought of it that way before, but I can absolutely see how you'd want to keep politics off the radar, given your town and profession.

The phrase "helicopter parents" made me LOL.

I think it highlights the difference in our families that discussing politics and religion with anyone outside your immediate family makes you nauseated-- with me it tends to be the other way around. Occasionally my dad and I agree about something political enough for me to make a comment, but religion? No way. I find it's much easier to talk to non-relatives about such things-- I guess because I don't have as much invested in their approval. We can disagree and it's not a big deal-- we can still be friends. But that may be a function of the area I live in, too-- around here, politics is just in the water. But I digress.

I guess the real reason I asked about politics is just 'cause I know you DO have opinions, even if you keep them private, and they tend to be thoughtful and not built on unexamined assumptions-- and that is always refreshing no matter where you fall on the spectrum, KWIM?

My youngest's godfather is the curator of information technology & communications at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. If you're ever in the area for a school trip or whatever, let us know and I'll try to get you hooked up.

Have a great Labor Day!

Ghost Writer said...

I should amend my previous statement. I don't discuss religion with anyone but my siblings and my husband.

I have a core group of friends at work who agree with me politically, and a few who share my thoughts on religion. The others are tolerant of multiple viewpoints, but we don't discuss it, as a rule. Usually our 25 minutes of lunch a day is geared toward venting about students, district policy, etc. :-)

It is fortunate that you live in an area where people can disagree and still respect each other (for the most part). Around here, there's still that "string 'em up" attitude if you find yourself at odds with popular opinion. The tide is turning, ever so slowly, toward a more tolerant society.

rolfthedog said...

valid concerns, no doubt about it. i wouldn't jeopardize the harmony of will's world. i would like to maybe provide ancillaries for me and ghostie to fiddle with as we see fit and maybe tie it all back to one main page that contains widgets from all three pages so updates are easy to find...

i dunno, but for whatever reason, i am more willing to submit my thoughts to the digital realm now and i'm not sure i want all of them in will's space. will's world needs to remain neutral. a trouble free zone that celebrates his curiosity and playfulness.

rolf