11 April 2008

Update on Will

Will was up twice before midnight, parched. Once he got some fluid in him, he'd fall right back to a fitful sleep. When he got up again at 1:15, I just took him to the living room and slept with him on the couch for a few hours. Rolf had to conduct a training session at work today, and he needed his rest. I had already called in for a sub when I saw that thermometer pass the 104 mark. Will slept no longer than 3 hours at a time. He's pooped.

I had to tote Will up to school with me this morning to make sure everything was ready for my sub today. Poor baby. Everyone wanted to get up in his face to look at him, something none of us likes when we're feeling under the weather.

He still didn't have much of an appetite all day. He took a good 2 hour nap in the morning, and this afternoon, he still was running about 100.7 when he dropped off to sleep at 2:30. He woke up at 2:50, soaking wet, but his head was cool. That was the last of it. He drank some fluids this evening, and he ate about half of his container of sweet potatoes and glazed carrots. He played and talked with Rolf this evening, pausing every now and then to rest his little head on Rolf or me or the floor. I know he's wiped. He's resting comfortably now. I hope he gets to sleep through the night.


I've racked my brain trying to figure this out. I tend to run below normal temps, so if I hit 101, I'm REALLY sick. Rolf said that he ran a little high when he was a kid. Maybe for Will, 103 is like normal people's 101. For me, 101 is like everyone else's 103. Maybe it is just teething. Or maybe it's teething plus a virus. I don't know. All I do know is that this is the second time he's had a high fever spike with no obvious cause, and I don't like it.

2 comments:

Mom's the Word said...

I'm glad Will seems to be doing better. I asked my sister (a nurse and mother of four) her advice about your situation. She said you need to request a CBC (bloodwork) next time this happens. She said most doctors will do this for you. I'm like you in the fever department. The hubby will spike 103 degree temps for minor things like back aches and such. In fact, during this last bout of flu, he got up to 104. I'm sure glad he's better now. He's such a little trooper.

Ghost Writer said...

Thanks for the advice. I think I shall. It's just weird. He's totally
fine now. He's goofing and playing and singing this morning. Oh, well.
Hopefully we won't have to do it again anytime soon.