08 March 2008

Record High Temperature

Obviously, I'm not talking about Will's first snow on Friday. On Thursday, Will ran a temperature all day long. It spiked frighteningly high - to a 103.7 - at around 7:30 in the evening. Tylenol wasn't breaking it, sleep wasn't breaking it. It seemed that there was nothing we could do. Will was lethargic and glassy-eyed, like most of us get when we're feverish, but he didn't seem to be in pain. I finally got a cool rag and washed his head down repeatedly. I opened his pajamas and did the same to his chest and stomach. I rubbed lotion into his legs and chest - anything I could do to make him cool down. Eventually, his fever fell below 100 degrees around 9:30. He ran a low-grade fever until around 12:30, and never looked back. Rolf stayed home with him yesterday, but Will was nice and cool and energetic all day - maybe a little clingy and a little fussy, but he hadn't eaten much in the past 24 hours and didn't sleep well at all on Thursday night.

Speaking of Will's first snow, he was enthralled on Friday morning. He looked out of the patio door, pointed, and excitedly cried out, "Do-doo doo do DOO do DO!" I covered his head, and we went outside for about 30 seconds. We reached the grill, which had a nice dusting of slushy snow on it. I touched it, so he leaned over to copy me. As soon as his little fingers hit the icy cold, he pulled his hand back and turned away. Ah, that's my little Texan. Since he seems to have inherited his mommy's cold-sensitive hands, he does NOT like to be cold. He did think the snow was pretty, though.

2 comments:

Mom's the Word said...

I'm so sorry. I know that had to be a horrible two hours for you. You're so calm; I would have been in the emergency room. Do you have any idea what he had? My nephews got a weird virus this week where they only got a high fever, no other symptoms.

Ghost Writer said...

That's exactly what he seemed to have. I guess it's going around. His only lingering symptom is that his appetite isn't back up to snuff yet. It's a battle to get him to eat a full meal or drink a full sippy cup.