19 August 2007

Will's First Swim





We went to my brother and sister-in-law's house for a mass family birthday party. My brother-in-law, dad, grandad, and I all have birthdays within a month and one day, ranging from August 9 to September 10.

Last year, at the party they threw me for my 30th birthday, I wished for one thing as I blew out the candles, and here, one year later, I have my little man. That's the only birthday wish I think has ever come true for me.

We wanted to get Will into the pool, and my SIL has a canopied float designed for babies, so we figured it was the perfect chance to introduce him to water not designed to bathe in. I had taken Will to the edge of the pool and dunked his feet earlier so he would understand that the water was for people to play in. He loves baths, so I didn't think we'd have a problem.

I changed Will into his little swim diapers and a swimsuit SIL had at the house for all little nephews. I brought Will slowly into the water. He did great! He was kicking a bit, like a natural. We put him into the float and tried to lean him back in the seat. No go there. He didn't like not feeling in control. I don't blame him. I'm far from a water baby myself. He did great leaning forward on the seat. Great, that is, for about five minutes. Since it was only 90 degrees on Saturday, the water was a little chilly for Will's taste. He liked it while he could stand it, but he got cold pretty fast. We know that next year, he'll love hopping in the pool in his pint-sized life jacket.

No comments: