03 August 2007

Like Father, Like Son

Today, I had a meeting at school that lasted all day, so my mom watched Will. By the time I got through, my mom had taken Will over to my grandparents' house so she could work with my aunt to get it cleaned out and ready for sale (my grandmother passed away three days before Will was born and my grandfather is in assisted living now). Will had apparently entertained them all day, smiling and laughing and trying to talk.

When I arrived to pick Will up, my mom told me that he found a few phrases funnier than others. In particular, "poopy pants" and "buuuurrrp" made him giggle. I expect that when he's four, but three months old? Add that to Rolf's insane and uncontrollable laughter whenever he sees a fart joke on TV, and I see many inappropriate dinner conversations in my future...

On another note, my mom told me today that Will is trying very hard to talk, and he is getting frustrated with his physical limitations. He just doesn't have the coordination to form words yet, and it's cramping his efforts to communicate with us more eloquently. Since my mom raised four kids, I feel a little vindicated that she thinks he's trying to talk, too. I wasn't sure for a while if we were just reading too much into his mouth movements and coos (or if we were just being overly proud parents). I think this boy is going to be scary smart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course he is going to be wicked smart. Look at his parents!

I've always wanted to think that the differences in boys and girls were all a direct result of socialization. Having a little boy now, it has really suprised me how wrong I was. There has, from the begining, been something inately boy about Brenden!

A totally inappropriate place to say, but I am sorry about your Grandmother. I'm glad you had something wonderful happen so close to something sad.

Ghost Writer said...

Thanks, Maggie. It was definitely a week of high emotions. Granny needed the release; she had really declined this spring. I like to think that Will's birth helped take the edge off of the grief for much of the family.