30 September 2007

A Weekend of First Experiences


This weekend, we went to First Monday in Canton with my parents, my nephews, and my sister and BIL. This was Will's first time out there (except when we went this time last year and I was 5 weeks pregnant). It was hot and VERY crowded, but Will did great! He hardly fussed at all, and he even napped a little bit in his stroller. I think I was crankier than Will was.

Today, when we went to Target, we used our shopping cart cover for the first time and had Will sit up in the seat. He did fine, since he was strapped in by both the shopping cart's tether and the cover's seat belt. I think he liked being able to be up and see more than just the fluorescent lights going by. He got a little fussy, but that was because he was tired. Once I got him out of the seat, he fell asleep in my arms. We were able to lay him down sideways in the cart seat so he could nap (and I could rest my back).

Will has slept through the night since he was about 8 weeks old, but this past week he started a new trend. He wakes up several times in the night fussing. Rolf usually stumbles into his room, tucks his paci back in his mouth, and that works for about an hour or so. We believe that we have discovered the reason: Will is cutting a tooth. We armed ourselves with Baby Orajel today to see if that helps him any.

Also, as you can see above, Will has started to hold his bottle to feed himself. He doesn't have tons of coordination or strength yet, so it's easier for him once he's about halfway through, but he really likes to hold it when he can.

On my front, I have had a sore throat for a week and a half now. I got a shot for strep throat (yuck!) last Thursday, which took care of my feeling like a semi ran me down, but my sore throat has persisted. If it is still sore tomorrow (and I'm sure it will be), I'll be heading back to the doctor to try to kick it once and for all. I've been tearing up my stomach (and my liver) by living on ibuprofen and acetaminophen for the last 10 days. This means that for the last 6 weeks or so, someone in the house has not felt up to par. We're ready for that to end. Fortunately, Will seemed to escape the strep monster. So has Rolf. It was flying all around my school, and as susceptible as I am to the disease, it was inevitable that I get it. Grrr...

2 comments:

Recovering Sociopath said...

Teething time! Wahoo!

Have you seen the Orajel Swabs? They're little hollow cotton swabs filled with medicine, and you break off one end so the meds flow into the other, then you swab on baby's gums. They're quite a bit less messy than the plain gel, and powerful-- they've numbed my fingertips a couple of times.

Also, I don't know how you feel about the homeopathic thing, but at our house we swear by Hyland's Teething Tablets, aka the Magic Baby Pills.

Ghost Writer said...

I am fine with homeopathy, but you must remember I live in a town with more dollar stores and tobacco shops per capita than mosquitoes in a swamp. It's not exactly a hotbed of holistic healing. We have to drive half an hour to reach a Whole Foods (which we often do, but we needed a quick fix for the weekend). Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into those the next time we are headed toward Central Market or Whole Foods.