02 November 2009

Fall Treats, Week 1

I fully intended to work some sort of Fall/Halloween-themed craft with William each weekend leading up to the 31st. Life and other things got in the way, so we didn't really get anything done.

I have resolved the weekends between now and Christmas will be different, however. I have downloaded several fun recipes, and my little baker and I will be posting something each week that we have worked on together. I really want to make sure we get in as much one-on-one time as we can before he has to share Mommy and Daddy with a little sibling.

Our first fall treat was an interesting little cookie the authors of the recipe call "Aut-yum Leaves." It's very semi-homemade, which is a good idea when you're baking with an impatient toddler.

I didn't get any pictures of cutting out the pie crust. We were working so hard at maximizing the pre-made rounds that we forgot.


After we cut the leaf shapes out, Will added a mixture of peanut butter and chocolate chips to the middle of each.


He then brushed the edges of each one with egg wash. I pressed the top layer of leaves on, and Will gave them each a final bath of egg wash.


The recipe called for raw sugar. We were out, so we used colored orange decorator's sugar instead. It gave them a bit of fall flair.



When the cookies were nice and brown, we took them out of the oven and let them cool.


A close-up of Will's handiwork.


Contrary to the look on his face, he loved them! He got home from school today and immediately asked for one.

These are pretty good little cookies. They taste like little mini-pies. I might try them again someday with a bigger cutout shape and a fruity pie filling or something similar.

Tune in again next week for another adventure in the kitchen with my li'l' chef.

No comments: